Pupils have a range of options available to them after their A Levels and have been speaking about these in PSHE sessions during the Lower Sixth. The following presentation helps parents and carers understand some of these options ahead of the UCAS application process starting in May.
Applying to university
The University and College Admissions Service (UCAS) processes applications to Higher Education. If any pupil wishes to apply to university, we help them through the process by offering the following:
- One to one careers interviews with the Independent Careers Adviser
- Higher Education and Careers Information Evening for Lower Sixth pupils and their parents
- One to one progression interviews with the Head of Sixth form and with tutors
- Personal Statement writing workshop with up to date information from a university admissions specialist
- Presentations from outside speakers: PSHE lessons, lunch time talks, careers evenings talks
- Support with completing the UCAS online form, replying to offers, and applying for accommodation
- Practice interviews
- Talks and information regarding student finance
- Advice and guidance on A Level results day
Those interested in applying to Oxbridge, who have to meet an earlier application deadline, are supported through regular meetings with the Deputy Headteacher. They visit the Oxford and Cambridge Student Conferences, attend an information evening held in Sevenoaks, and are offered attendance at the Cambridge Roadshow held locally. In addition, we have visits from recent 澳门星际真人游戏 leavers who offer advice, and from admissions tutors from the universities.
Those interested in applying for Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science, who also have to meet an earlier application deadlines, are supported through regular meetings with the Deputy Headteacher, MedSoc meetings, and attendance at a Careers in Medicine event held at the local hospital. They are also offered attendance at the Kent Medical Days, use of the Medic Mentor website and the Medic Portal website, as well as dedicated lunch time talks and help with obtaining work experience.
- www.ucas.com – essential for course information and applying to university
- www.ucas.com/parents – a guide for parents
- www.whatuni.com – student reviews available on courses
- www.unistats.com – enables you to compare courses and universities
- www.opendays.com – directory of university open days
- www.direct.gov.uk/studentfinance – government advice on student finance